Focus & Motivation Foundation
Focus & Motivation
Our Focus & Motivation class serves as a springboard for you and your canine companion into the sport of dog agility. We’ll start you and your dog off right, by providing a balanced training program which incorporates an introduction to some agility apparatus (shortened tunnels, lowered teeter totter etc.), but primarily focuses on building a solid partnership and agility foundation.
Core dog training skills are a key focus (recall, sit-stays with distractions etc.). Body awareness exercises for an agile partner are concentrated on. Sound and movement desensitization are worked on. Exercises to create a well adjusted and ‘thinking’ dog are emphasized; a dog that is happy, confident and enthusiastic, who will make choices that are in line with your agenda. We get this by establishing a reinforcement based training program for you and your dog to follow from the get-go. We also have…FUN!!
All of this will make for a happy and well-balanced family pet and stellar agility dog that is highly engaged and in tune with you! Get your motor runnin’…
- Wobble boards, ladders, balance balls, adjusted agility equipment–for the safety of our growing agility compatriots–such as dog walk planks, tunnels, channel weave poles etc. are introduced.
- Impulse control, toy motivation, acceleration/deceleration, “circle work” exercises.
- Handling 101 – Core agility handling components are presented, focusing on the renown Derrett handling system. Key rules of handling, front and rear cross handling maneuvers, and body mechanics for handlers are covered.
Focus & Motivation
Reward Zone Dog Training
- ‘Reward Zone’ dog training is key, since if you are the ultimate reward to your dog, he/she will be immune to whatever distractions there are in the environment and look to you for reinforcement. We’ll cover establishing a ‘learn-to-earn’ environment where work = play and play = work. Help you develop solid dog training skills by working on good timing and reinforcement, setting clear criteria and being consistent. “Crate Games” will be introduced.
- Lay the groundwork for Resilient Recalls, Stellar Sit-Stays, Linear Line-Ups, 3D’s: Distance, Duration, Distractions, Circle Work (the basics of agility all wrapped up into one core exercise).
- Increase your dog’s motivation and build confidence by playing with your dog! Take advantage of your dog’s natural prey drive, by engaging them in an interactive game of tug. Get your dog driving ahead of you and increase their speed on the agility field. Keep them interested, spirited yet connected, and agile. We will teach you how to get your dog tugging with toys and tug-n-treats and how to incorporate this into your agility training regimen. We also focus on training go-on’s and tight turns by introducing the core principles – acceleration and deceleration; handlers learn to cue dogs to extend or collect strides by adjusting their own stride length and speed when running.
- Designed especially for agility dogs, our tricks teach dogs to love to learn, stay engaged, and promote body awareness, balance, coordination and strength (for a fit and injury-free agility dog). They also make ‘we the people’ better trainers by improving timing, setting criteria and reinforcement. Clicker training is introduced and utilized.
- Building upon Crate Games skills introduced in the Reward Zone Dog Training, these session brings impulse control training to a higher level. Utilizing dog crates we work on shaping behaviors and improving dog’s impulse control by working sit-stays and increasing distractions. We also focus on getting the dogs to drive out of and send to their crates. This is then a building block to getting solid start-lines and go-on’s out on the agility course.
Details / Registration
The Focus & Motivation Series includes 6 classes to be taken over a 6 week period. Students attend class the same time and day each week and all the students progress together. At the end of each 6 week session, another session begins. Each student is allowed one make-up per session for a missed class.
Cost: $180 per six-week session.
Class Times/Locations: Please send us an email using our Contact Us page for specific class dates/times. Classes are offered periodically at our Sun Studios training facility and run for 1 hour and 15-30 minutes. Class size is kept small; typically 3 – 6 dogs (8 max).
Prerequisites: Successful completion of the Introduction to Agility class.
Registration: Please send us an email using our Contact Us page.